Real Estate Law
My real estate law practice includes the following services:
- Conveyancing work representing lenders, buyers and sellers in both residential and commercial transactions
- Project development and permitting
- Creation of condominiums and homeowner associations
- Title issues
- Boundary disputes
- Zoning, wetlands and septic system issues
- Drafting, reviewing and/or negotiating purchase & sale agreements, deeds, leases, realty trusts, LLCs, condo and association docs., development agreements, title docs.
- Litigation related to all the above
I have represented buyers, sellers and lenders in residential and commercial real estate transactions since the beginning of my career. While buying and selling a home is routine, there are many pitfalls and disputes that arise out of these transactions. Having your attorney involved as soon as possible, by at least by the offer stage, is critical to making as smooth a transaction as possible.
For a number of years, I served as in-house counsel for a consortium of real estate development companies, working on the development of a varied portfolio of residential, commercial and mixed-use projects. The highlight had been the development of a 100-acre mixed-use site in a suburban community. Work for these clients involved all phases of commercial development: land acquisition and financing, permitting and zoning work, drafting new bylaws and ordinances, construction financing, document review and drafting, creation of development entities, creation and management of condominiums, commercial leasing, sales, notes, mortgages and onward.
I also have extensive experience with municipal land use permitting and environmental due diligence, both as a practitioner and as a regulator, having served on a local land use board for 9 years and having served as special counsel to a permitting board.
The more transactional nature of real estate is a welcome part of my practice. Whether involving a large commercial development or the purchase of your home, a real estate transaction may likely be the single largest monetary venture of your lifetime. Be sure you have competent real estate law representation in these important transactions.